When your tooth enamel begins to wear down, this process is known as dental erosion, also known as enamel erosion. It typically occurs due to harmful acids that are capable of eating through your enamel. If enamel erosion occurs to the point that a hole has formed in your tooth enamel, this is known as a cavity. If left untreated, cavities can expose teeth to further damage, infections, and tooth loss. Thus, effective cavity prevention techniques such as the following should always be implemented to protect your teeth:
– Brush your teeth twice a day with a sturdy, strong toothbrush that has soft bristles.
– Visit your dentist for routine cleanings, comprehensive checkups, and examinations of your oral health.
– Floss every single day between your teeth for areas that your brush misses. You need to use threaded floss or an interdental cleaner such as a water flosser.
– Use mouthwash to help add an additional layer of oral health care by rinsing away harmful debris and plaque buildup.
– Eat healthy and nutritious meals that have enamel building minerals such as calcium and phosphorus and are low in sugars and starches that can lead to dental erosion.
– Produce additional saliva for your mouth by chewing sugarless gum after meals.
– Avoid sticky and chewy foods that can linger in your mouth and promote tooth decay.
If you want to experience the joys of preventing cavities at Mendez Family Dental, simply call Dr. Albert Mendez and our team at 620-231-6070 to schedule an appointment at our dentist office in Pittsburg, Kansas.